Before you renovate...

Friday, 9 September 2016

Happy Friday lovely people! Its been an exciting week for the house, the final walls have come down in our dining room and I can almost see the end of the major parts of our house renovations. It's taken us almost three years to get to this point and I'm so excited at the prospect of having the house and weekends back (although, I'm not sure what I'll do with the spare time). Having a house to renovate was the dream and I know how fortunate I am to be in this position, however doing up a house is a huge undertaking and in a more serious post I thought I'd share some things to think about before you take the plunge.

Time and Money - These two go hand in hand, the less time you have the more you'll spend. If you're prepared to the work yourself, then you'll save so much on labour costs, our biggest expense has been builders time. Our house needed structural work in every.single.room so we had no option but to use builders. Although more expensive we wanted the house to be structurally secure and water tight so decided to spend our money on builders but save in other areas. 

How important is your free time? - If you love weekends away, dinners, holidays (basically anything that makes life fun) then ask how much of these things are you will to go without  - it's standard for us to pick using our money for the house over going out for dinner. The rare times that we do I measure the cost of the bill against the price of paint!

Do you have help? We were lucky, our parents came in for quite a few weekends at the start to help clean, hang wallpaper, repair banisters etc. When it's just the two of you it can feel that you're at the bottom of a very big mountain having a 'team' to help just gets the ball rolling that much quicker. Look around do you know people with handy DIY skills that could help you out?

Sleep - A random one but I've never felt so tired as I have the first five months of renovations (it was much easier having a new born - seriously) if you have a job that requires you to be awake, make important decisions then factor in this too. My day job and boss were really understanding when I had to take emergency holiday to chose a bathroom, get a days rest but if yours isn't then you definitely need to consider sleep.

I don't want this post to put anyone off buying a project house. It has been so rewarding to create a happy home for our family but has taken an awful lot of hard work to get here and its important you know that. Have a super weekend, I of course will be painting skirting boards!

PS - if you love a renovation post the you might like these
The house renovation project
Lounge before and after
Bathroom before and after 
Kitchen makeover
Bedroom before and after
Simple Bedroom updates 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover