Suffolk

Monday, 28 March 2016

Minsmere
Our first holiday as a family of three couldn't have been more welcome. After many weeks of terrible sleep and general rundown-ness we packed our bags and headed up the A12 to Suffolk. I spent summers in Suffolk when I was young and have a few memories of places but going back as an adult I wasn't sure what to expect. We stayed in Friston which was really close to everything along the coast - Aldeburgh, Minsmere, Southwold as well as being close to more inland places like Snape Maltings, Woodbridge and Darsham, all of which I recommend.
Photos - Darsham Nuseries, The Cook Shed, Pump Street Bakery
The benefit of going away in March meant the weather didn't spoil our plans as we packed for the cold and any sunny day was a real bonus plus everywhere was quiet, so quiet, which is just what we needed. With a baby in the mix we had to pace ourselves - usually we'd try to visit as many different places as possible - this trip we headed out late and made sure we were back early to start bedtime. Over the week we all managed to unwind and get back into different sleep patterns which made a whole world of difference, I felt like a new person by the end of the week. 

Minsmere
I was really surprised by just how nice everything was, I felt like I was living some kind of Country Living dream. We ate fish bought sea side at Aldeburgh, fresh sour dough from Pump Street Bakery and enjoyed cakes from Two Magpies - it was great. Our favourite place for food was Darsham Nurseries, we went for an incredible lunch then booked again for breakfast - its the sort of food that I dream about when there's nothing in the cupboard apart from beans! We both loved Snape Maltings too, the food and home shops were amazing, we spent a good few hours absorbing all the lovely stuff (the homeware section is HUGE and sells a fantastic range, it reminded me of a cross between Liberty and Anthropologie).
Photos - Thorpeness, Aldeburgh, Southwold
Some of my other favourite activities were:
The walk from Thorpeness to Aldeburgh
Rummaging for treasure in Halesworth
Seeing the beach huts at Southwold - I also recommend the Adnams cafe and Adnams Gin
Birdspotting at Minsmere (there are really good paths so you can take a pram)
Lunch at The Cook Shed and pottering around Woodbridge
Perfect cottage spotting in Orford - it's the prettiest place we've ever seen

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you have had a happy holiday in our county of Suffolk. We feel so privileged to live in such a special place but it is great to hear that others love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my great pleasure to visit your website and to enjoy your excellent post here. I like that very much. boat trips in ibiza

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover