DIY - Soy Candles

Monday, 14 March 2016

A really simple DIY for you all today. Inspired by lack of craft time, the end of winter and an accidental Amazon order, I’ve been busy the kitchen making soy candles. Not a new or original craft, I know but it’s new to me and so very relaxing. I’ve put the steps below but really its melt, stir, pour.
You’ll need – Soy wax, wicks, stickers, really clean empty jars

Step 1 – Stick the wicks to bottom of the jars

Step 2 – Melt your wax over a gentle heat in a saucepan. You’ll need double the amount of dry wax flakes it takes to fill your jar.

Step 3 – Pour your wax into the jar and leave to set. I kept my wicks upright by twisting the wick over a skewer whilst the wicks were setting.
Thinking I’d be able to go head-to-head with Diptyque I added some scent to the candles. I might have got the quantities wrong but could barely smell a thing so I haven’t included. The next set I make I’ll try using essential oils instead and see what happens.
I jazzed up my jars with hand dyed silk ribbon and a sprig of eucalyptus, which I’ll remove before burning. I love how pure the wax looks and so far they burn much more evenly than paraffin wax. I'm planning on making some more as Easter gifts. Happy Making! x 

You can see my previous candle making post here

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post - I'm inspired to make my own! To ask a stupid question - how do you get the wax out of the saucepan once you've finished making the candle?!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola, I'm so glad you're inspired. I warm up the left over wax with a bit of hot water then keep wiping out with a cloth. Once I think its all out I put in the dishwasher for a final rinse. x

      Delete
  2. I just love these candles, looks so beautiful, being Mason Jar Candles maker. I just love your post. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover