Wooden chair make over

Thursday, 26 March 2015

 I'm back with another bedroom makeover update for you all today. You may have seen my mighty driftwood shelf  this time its the turn of some really gorgeous chairs I found on Gumtree. Since our furnishing budget for the house was extremely small after all the serious renovations,  I've have had a great time sourcing furniture in weird and wonderful places ( like the tip or peoples carboots - I have no shame). Gumtree has to be one of my favourite places to find new treasures, I like the fact I can be quite specific in what I am looking for and can search within quite a small area from home, I also like the fact that I can still treasure hunt even when I am trapped at work - ha!
I found these chairs back in the autumn and they were just what I had had in mind, I wanted something really pretty for the bedroom, that weren't too matchy- matchy. I got the pair for £50 and knew they needed a make under, I am not a fan of dark wood in the slightest. 

The process for both the chairs was quite simple, sand until you get back to the natural wood. I used a Black and Decker mouse sander as its small tip meant I could get into the hard to reach places. If you are more particular than me you could hand sand all the grooves, I quite like the shading effect on both of the chairs. Once complete give everything a good wipe down with a damp cloth. Each chair took me about 4 hours to complete. 
I'll probably get these both reupholstered at some point. I was in Designers Guild at the weekend and would love to use one of their amazing velvet prints but sadly budget doesn't allow for that at the moment. As they are, they both suit the room really well and I like having a few places to hang and drape things!

I've used Gumtree quite a bit in the past year, I've found some real treasures and also been stung. The most important thing to look for is the base material. Look for solid wood - like these chairs - proper joins in drawers and good quality finishes. It doesn't matter if you upcycle or leave as they come, you'll always have a great end product that you can sell on again. The only time I've been left disappointed, is when I bought a really poor chest of drawers that was falling apart everything from the initial communication was dodgy, sometimes you have to trust your instinct and walk away. 
 My bedroom is still coming together, photographing these chairs made me have a bit of a shuffle round  which I'm liking. Now I've got these sorted they have highlighted how much I'd love to switch my wardrobes for a more rustic wood option - it's never ending! I have done some more changes to the room so I'll be back with another update soon.

Top chair accessorised with - trainers - Superga, scarf - Matthew Williamson, Basket, a gift from my sister

Bottom chair accessorised with - shoes - Charlotte Olympia, jackets - Zara, Table, made by my Dad

This most was written in collaboration with Gumtree, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

4 comments:

  1. They look beautiful! Amazing what just removing the tinted varnish can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a massive difference! Love this! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that works so well. Absolutely magnificent - will have to do something like this myself soon I think thanks for the inspiration ;)

    Alina x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look absolutely gorgeous! Love them. I always forget about Gumtree - I should look at it more often! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover