Styling The Seasons - March

Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Welcome to March! For this months Styling The Seasons I was a bit stumped, I thought I would arrive home from India to a garden full of spring flowers which would be the basis for this months post. I did a tour of the garden this there are a few optimistic shoots but sadly nothing blooming. 

Since arriving home I feel my thoughts have been all over the place - ideas feel tangled and out of reach and I've been telling myself off for not being good enough. I really need to shake this feeling so have decided to have a word to focus on. I have chosen the word nurture - as reminder to be kinder and look after myself, let ideas and creativity have space to breathe. 
For this month's surface I decided on my dining room table - the sun arrives in the afternoon and I love looking out onto all the greens in the garden (and spotting the cat on next doors shed!). I find the space and light in the room really peaceful and love having a large table to spread all my stuff on. I can't resist having a few bunches of colourful flowers around and loved these soft mauve hyacinths against the yellow of this Suzie Cooper teapot and green of the tulip leaves - in fact this is my favourite colour combination at the moment.

I also piled the table high with some of my favorite creative activities, calligraphy (so addictive), embroidery and of course some jewellery making. The trouble is I want to do it all, all at the same time hence the head muddle!

Instead of artfully styling a surface I decided to add all my current inspiration to the mix - confusing it maybe - when I see everything in front of me I can start to unravel my thoughts and come up with a plan and direction to take new ideas in. I have filled the table with favourite books and prints - the flamingo print was a birthday present from my sister and I won the Matthew Williamson scarf on Instagram (gaaahh!). The mirrored fabric is an embroidered top I picked up in India, not to be worn but marvelled at. I love the mix of colours and textures of everything on the table, as March feels like a spring board for the months ahead I'm really looking forward to seeing where these ideas and inspirations take me, some will be for projects and DIY's others will be added to around the house. Even though my thoughts and ideas might be in their incubation stage I feel really ready to shake off the dark glow winter and embrace the change in season and the beginnings that come with a new season. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing your March inspirations. If you want to join Katy and I in Styling The Seasons then make sure you link your posts and photos with the hashtag #stylingtheseasons.

You can see what Styling The Seasons is all about in this post and previous posts here (February January, December, November, October, September


12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. I love that mirrored fabric. Can you do a haul post showing all the stuff you picked up while you were out there? I bet you got some amazing fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course an India haul is on its way!

      Delete
  2. Hey Charlotte,

    I bet India was amazing! I'm just stalking you on Instagram now to see all the beautiful things you got up to :) Try not to give yourself a hard time for needing a bit of down time. Putting pressure on yourself won't help. If you relax and spend a little time on the nurture you'll be double as productive later on. Take care of yourself!

    Fran x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lovely lady, I completely agree! I'm been distracting myself with other things and feeling a whole load better! x

      Delete
  3. I love it. I hope the confusion works itself out. Normally it just requires time (by which time the next muddle of ideas arrives). And being kind to yourself is definitely hard. I find starting with the physical is helpful. A little bit of morning yoga, some healthy food. I suppose it is easier to sort out what I have for breakfast than what I am doing for the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, thats exactly what I've been doing. Loads of yoga and eating loads of veg. Yoga is such a good cure for most things!! x

      Delete
  4. This is just beautiful. The light is perfect. Just dreamy and all that colour on the table is beautiful. It can be hard not to put pressure on yourself when you want to achieve the perfect image or arrangement. With a two and a four year old, my time is so, so stretched that I've had to force myself to be content with things 80 percent good enough. Walking away for a couple of hours or sleeping on it, really does help. But I think you've done wonderfully despite your worry x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Rachel I really appreciate your kind words. Sometimes the pressure takes over and you can't create anything. I have been giving myself an easier time this week and feel loads better x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos, I love all your Stuff! I know where you're coming from though... when there are too many ideas and inspirations, it's hard to separate just one to focus on. I'm sure the arrival of spring and longer days will help your motivation!
    I'm saying goodbye to summer with my post this month... http://ghostmyst.blogspot.co.nz/2015/03/styling-seasons-march.html
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how your table is full of lots of different things and activities, yet it still all feels cohesive :) I get that feeling of feeling stuck or overwhelmed with ideas, and I have found that time and just getting on with life is definitely the best thing to do. It gives space and room for the good ideas to float up to the surface, and the bad ideas just drift away. Have a lovely March x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful Lottie! I find when I'm feeling overwhelmed, it means it's time to just stop for a bit, drift and do things just for myself, and then the rest follows (January & February were like that - it's hard when you still feel l like you must stay on top of projects, work (& blogging & social media - phew!), but in the end, the best thing you can do for you and your creativity is to do what's best for you. Have a calm & nurturing March lovely, big hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked your gypsy like colours and styling, you know how to gather things and make them your own !
    I finally ended March with my Styling the Seasons, only few days before it's over !!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover