Styling The Seasons - January

Thursday, 1 January 2015

I a
Happy New Year! I really hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I had intended to spend more time blogging but instead have had lots of cosy days, walks outside and afternoon naps - it's been blissful and just what I needed. 

For this months Styling The Seasons I have been inspired by all things outside. Everything you see here has been foraged and gathered over the past few days - the bottles and glass from the beach and the foliage from woods and fields. I thought the woods would be asleep this time of year but they were teaming with life, I couldn't help but gather theses flowers, leaves and branches. I fell in love with the vibrant greens and almost tropical feel of the ferns. Whilst everything still feels wintery I find the bright spring colours really optimistic and love all the different textures together. 
I decided to style my hall table, like many houses halls become dumping grounds and mine is no exception. There is currently an old church pew (well out of sight) waiting to be renovated and until Christmas Eve it had bits of carpet, old rugs and random free newspapers kicking around. The hall and I have  had a bad relationship after spending every weekend in April hand stripping the beams I haven't been able to face doing anything further to it. It was only after a flurry of pre-Christmas cleaning, adding a small table my mum painted for me and a few candles, that completely transformed the way I feel about the space.


Having been at home now for almost two weeks (the longest time ever) I've loved seeing a happy table as I come downstairs in the morning. As I start commuting back up to London tomorrow, I think its more important than ever to have a reminder of the outside and nature before being caught up in the sterile environment of trains and offices. I made a resolution today to have a big walk at least once a month and If I can, get outside at lunch whenever the sun shines. I find nature so restorative and soothing I want to ensure I'm outside on a more regular basis this year. 
I'm really enjoying my nature filled table, with each month of Styling The Seasons I understand a little more about my style and what I want to fill my home with. I know that I love colour, texture and abundance but also humble pieces that have story behind them, like these bottles. What I've learnt over the last year  is creating a meaningful home takes time, you can go out and buy style but creating a place which is unique is a longer process. I've really loved having time to stop doing and more time being over the past few weeks. After putting in so much hard work to create a clean and bright house in 2014 I'm really looking forward to creating a unique home in 2015. 

Styling The Seasons is a joint project run by Katy from Apartment Apothecary and myself. Each month we challenge anyone to style a surface in your home to reflect what the month means to you. Upload your image on any social media platform using the hashtag #stylingtheseasons (so we can see it). If you need inspiration you can see my posts here - September, October, November and December . Have a super month!  xx

11 comments:

  1. Oh I love the energy from the greenery. It always surprises me how much life is still around at this time of year, all the trees are in bud. Happy new year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, It made me realise I need to get outside more to notice these things. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. I love all the greenery and the things that you've collected. It makes me long for a space that my little boys can't reach. I'd need a six foot bookcase nailed to the wall to keep something so beautiful away from their sticky fingers. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You need one very high shelf that you can call your own.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, I absolutely love this, it's so beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These aged and weathered bottles are lovely! They have such character. I love your idea of using a broken bottle as a candle holder!
    I'm joining in with Styling the Seasons for the first time... it's summer here so I've cleared away my Christmas decorations and put out lots of flowers! You can see my styled mantel at my blog here: http://ghostmyst.blogspot.co.nz/2015/01/styling-seasons-january-2015.html
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for joining in, your post is beautiful!

      Delete
  5. I literally gasped when I saw this - it is absolutely beautiful in every single way xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, I love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see how you get your ideas each month - very inspirational - it made me want to get rid of all my boxes and get ready for January's Styling the Seasons !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover