DIY - simple leather purse

Friday, 7 November 2014

A sweet little sewing DIY today. I made this leather purse just as I was moving (hence the lack of step photos), it probably wasn't the best time to start whipping up a new project but I find sewing a good stress relief and it was so quick to put together I couldn't resist. If you don't have a sewing machine this is a project that you could easily hand sew, just make sure you use leather needles and a thick thread. I made a peach version which I have used continuously throughout the summer when I wanted to ditch my heavy (with receipts not money) day purse. Here's how I did it.
You'll need- 1mm thick leather cut into 16cm x 11cm rectangles, 8 inch zip, top stitch thread, leather needle (sewing machine or hand sew)

Step 1. Lay your zip horizontally and lay each piece of leather on top, longest side against the zip edge. This will give you an idea of where you need to start sewing.

Step 2. Step your machine up so the running stitch is on the longest stitch it can be. If you have any scraps do a tension test. Once happy stitch the first piece of leather in place. It's best not to use pins to hold in place as they can punch the leather, you could use clips instead but as the area is quite small you should be ok to sew by eye.

Step 3. Repeat with the second piece of leather, making sure the edges are lined up as much as possible.

Step 4. Fold in half and sew around the remaining three edges with a 1cm seam allowance if possible.

Step 5. As this was a trial there were a few wobbly edges. I trimmed all the sides down to a 5mm seam allowance to give everything a neat and finished look.
Of course I can't leave anything un-embellished so using contrast leather I pinch circles and stitched them into the front. I did this before I assembled my purse.
Whilst I don't think I'll be moving into bag making anytime soon, it was fun to play around with leather once again (you can see more leather tutorials in this post). Happy making and happy weekend! xx

3 comments:

  1. When you going to open a shop so I can buy some of this stuff. I just don't have your talents ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! I've never worked with leather before but this is the second DIY using it which I've loved this week (the other is on A Beautiful Mess). Might have to give both of them a go! (although I don't know how to use a sewing machine - pretty intimidated by them to be honest!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day Michelle one day!

    Thanks Kate - sewing machines are the best and completely non-scary, I promise!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover