Monday's

Monday, 4 August 2014

I've been wanting to talk about Monday's for a while now but haven't had the chance, life has slowed a little so I'm sharing today. Last year I took a big brave (for me) leap into the unknown and decided to approach my day job and ask to go down to four days a week. By day I'm a PA at a global corporation, being a PA is alright but it certainly isn't the dream. Like many of us dreamers out there I would love to work in a creative job 24/7 but the reality is I need to pay my gas bill and so 9 - 5-ing it is (for now). Last year my blog started to pick up and I was being asked to write tutorials for more people, not being able to say no I found that I was working all weekend and evenings just to keep up so when there was a shift in my role I took the opportunity to reduce my hours. 
I probably should have come up with some kind of business plan but I didn't/haven't. I had a list of companies/people that I wanted to work with and ideas that I wanted to try but mainly I wanted to gain as much experience and exposure to different ways of working so from there I could evaluate what I enjoyed and what worked for me. Over the past year I have worked with Liberty, Mollie Makes, Sew Over It and Jewelry From Home, writing tutorials and teaching workshops along side my regular workshops at Make Do and Mend. Looking back I can't believe how far I've come, if you told me last year that I would be working with all these incredible people and places I would not have believed you for a second!
When I read other bloggers doing amazing things my first question is - how can you afford that? ! I didn't have any real financial objective for the first year, I got to a place in my salary where I could afford to drop a day and made sure all debts were clear. I don't save as much as I'd like or have anything for extras like a fancy new dress but I'm ok with this as having a day to my self is more valuable. My first aim have been to make back what I have 'lost' which some months I do, it is becoming more consistent and anything I do make I put back in for workshops and materials.
I think the biggest learning has been being realistic with much time I have. I want to make everyone happy but there have been a few times when I have completely over loaded myself and not produced my best work, I'm slowly gaining the confidence to say no and manage my time better. Over the next few months I want to sit down and work out my plan for the next year or two. If anyone has a good business plan article that they could direct me too, I'd be really grateful (it needs to be simple).
If you're thinking of making a change and have any questions then please get in touch I'd love to hear from you and help in any way. Its definitely worth it. I have a few more post ideas I want to write on the subject so stay tuned. 

Thanks to Jo at The Only Place for these wonderful photo's. Jo is writing a fab series on Bloggers At Their Desks which is so so good - take a look! 

If you want to make what's in these pictures then you can find the summer statement necklace here and the leather heart bracelets here

12 comments:

  1. Lovely post Charlotte, great to read about your journey to doing what you really love. Jo did such a great job with these photos too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siobhan, it was you that gave me the kick to finally write it!

      Delete
  2. Great post Charlotte. A lot of this resonates with me right now, particularly when having to weigh up dreams against the harsh realities of life. Paying bills and keeping afloat (especially in London!) does sadly dictate a lot of the choices we make. I'm currently in a similar rut now, moving from away from the 'safety net' and into the unknown, trying to figure out how to make something out of myself (by myself) and somehow make a living from it. It's frustratingly unsettling but I just have to embrace the change and eventually find my 'happy place' :)

    Anyway, thanks for sharing and I do look forward to reading more about this on here, especially what others have to say. It's inspiring and somewhat reassuring that we're all in similar boats. And yes, any tips on business plans and time management (the latter I thought was my biggest skill is now being under serious scrutiny!) :D

    Good luck with all your endeavours and just keep going because you're one super talented lady!


    PS. Beautiful photos too....nice one Jo! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think there are more of us in this position than we know, all trying to figure out how to find the balance between doing something we love but also keeping afloat. Good luck to you too! x

      Delete
  3. What an interesting post, it must be create having time to follow your dreams as well as paying all the boring bills! I hope that you get lots of success from your projects x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an inspiring lady. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks Michelle, I hope this helps people be a little more brave (but sensible too).

      Delete
  5. Such a gorgeous post: the photographs, what you're making, your words and is that your home? It looks truly delightful! Might have to invite myself round ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes this is my dining room (all the boxes were strategically hidden)! Come round anytime, you're always welcome. And thanks for you're lovely words too. x

      Delete
  6. I just thought I would stop by and say hello, after receiving Katy's exciting email. Your blog is really lovely, I will look forward to reading it regularly, and well done, it looks like you have achieved a great deal, must be great to have the time for more and more creativity, long may it continue :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to 'meet' you Emma, thanks for stopping by. Reading everyone's kind words means so much and makes all the hard work worth while.

    ReplyDelete

 
Pin It button on image hover