Floral Friday - Creative Slumps

Friday, 25 July 2014

I've been been feeling a bit funny of late not hilarious funny but a bit off . Its been a struggle to get my ideas out of my head and onto walls, into jewellery and up here on my blog. I think the worst of it has passed but I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like this so today I thought I'd share some of things that I have found helpful in getting over a creative slump.
Sleep/rest - my ideas always stack up when I'm exhausted and have run out of my usual energy and enthusiasm to pursue. Taking some time to just sit down and be quiet is enormously refreshing. I have been making a real effort to go and sit outside during my lunch breaks, there are so many beautiful gardens and secret places around Temple that I having just five minutes of peace has been really restoring.

Get off the internet (especially Instagram) - I love Instagram but if I'm feeling bad I try and take myself off it for a few days. I find looking at a perfectly edited world stops my creativity rather fuels when I'm feeling wobbly.
Break out of a routine - If like me you have a 9 - 5 job, the monotony of catching the same train, eating the same breakfast, waiting for the clock to hit 5 can really break down any creative thoughts. Instead I've been trying to make things differently, something as small as changing what I have for breakfast each day definitely put my head in a different place. I've also had a few mid-week holiday days, I took an afternoon off for Dan's mums birthday we went for tea and have a fab afternoon strolling around London parks, it felt so luxurious to have some time to enjoy being rather than rushing around doing. 

Speak to different people (in actual real life) - Email, Whatsapp, Twitter etc are wonderful wonderful things but nothing beats a proper conversation with real life people. I recently had a lovely brunch with a new friend and I left the conversation feeling so much lighter and full of positivity.
I hope you find some of these helpful, I'd love to hear how you get out of any creative pickles - all ideas are welcome! Have a great weekend. xx

Psst - you might like these too

How to get stuff done

Slowing Down

3 comments:

  1. Good advice! I agree; sometimes taking the time to meet up with people and talk can feel like too much effort, but it's so refreshing. Personally, I am usually too insular; I need to connect more with 'real' people! Hope you feel more energized and have been able to enjoy the lovely weather : ) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen, I can get too insular too if I find myself heading this way I just start talking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beautiful pictures alone inspire me! I'm often in a slump as I put too much pressure on myself so a lot of joy gets sucked out of blogging/taking photos/visiting blogs. I love the idea of breaking routine to create inspiration x

    ReplyDelete

Lotts and Lots | Making the everyday beautiful All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger

 
Pin It button on image hover