The basics of jewellery making - lesson one

Tuesday, 5 November 2013

I'm so excited to be starting a new series today, I'm going to go right back to the start and will teach you how to make jewellery from scratch. I hope that you will all join in the fun, please tweet, instagram and email me any questions, I am building this series as I go so anything you want to know just ask. Use the hashtag #happymaking with any of your pictures and I will share my favourites on the site too. Whoop, lets start!

You can't do anything without the right tools, I have tried in the past to make do but it just doesn't work. Here are the essentials from my tool kit

Pens and pencils - I'm never without an HB pencil, Stabilo fine liners (in black and various colours colours) and colour pencils. I use them for sketching and drafting patterns.

Double sided tape - 6mm is my absolute essential but I always have a roll of 1.2cm in my kit

Pattern square - I have had this since I was sixteen and I have used it on every single project I have ever made, from wedding dresses to bracelets this is the one item I cannot do with out.

Sketch book - I love this one from Paperchase, it has three separate coloured sections and I use it to collect my magazine tears. I organise mine into the following groups; DIY ideas, fashion and home.

Jars - I normally use old jars for organising all my supplies, it means I can see colours and type easily plus they are readily available and don't cost anything.

Scissors - This is obvious really, I have an old pair for cutting everything but also a special pair for fabric and smaller pairs for threads and fiddly bits

Tape measure - Another obvious one, its needed for measuring wrists, necklines etcs - you get the idea

Washi tape - not only does this stuff look good but its useful for temporarily holding threads into place.

Highlighters - Neon makes stuff look good but also they're really handy for marking cutting lines.

Wire cutters, chain nose pliers, round nose pliers and flat nose pliers - I recently invested in this kit which is great and really improves the finish of my tutorials. If you are starting from scratch then I'd recommend chain nose and round nose to begin with .

Your task for the week is to gather yourself a tool kit, find a nice box and keep everything you need in one place (I waste so much time looking for stuff). I don't expect you to rush out and buy everything on the list but have a hunt and see what you can gather.

If you can't wait to get started then here are some perfect no tools needed tutorials.
Fabric and bead plait necklace
Very easy bow and chain necklace
Ribbon tie necklace

Happy making! x

4 comments:

  1. I will have to go out today and buy these tools. Well I have most but I need the actual jewelry stuff! great post, thanks!

    yosnaps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you'll be joining in, any questions let me know. x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ooh thanks, I hope you enjoy these posts

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover