DIY - ribbon and jewel hairband

Tuesday, 19 November 2013

I think I'm an embellishment addict, ok I am. I was getting twitchy as I hadn't jewelled anything in about a week so decided to make these jewelled hairbands. I have seen so many beautiful Marni versions around that I just had to make my own. I certainly don't have nearly £300 to spend on a hairband and I'm guessing you don't either so making seems like the only sensible thing to do. What I love about the Marni version is the mix of grosgrain ribbon, tonal jewels and covered elastic, it makes everything feel a bit more luxe. I have tried to capture this in my own version but for a fraction of the price! All the steps are below: 
You'll need  - Grosgrain ribbon, jewels, 7mm elastic, polycotton, needle and thread

Step 1. Cut a length of ribbon 22cm long and sew on your chosen jewels

Step 2. Roll the end of the ribbon over on itself by 5mm and then 5mm again. Stitch into place and then repeat on the other side.

Step 3. Cut a piece of poly-cotton 4cm x 60cm, fold in half and stitch together down the length. Turn the strip back in on itself so that the seam is on the inside creating a channel. I always stitch a piece of cord at the very top of my strip as its helps to pull  the fabric back in on itself.

Step 4. Cut a piece of elastic 40cm long and thread through your channel of fabric. Stitch the fabric and elastic into place to secure.

Step 5. Fold the end of your elastic over by 1cm and stitch into place on the wrong side of your embellished band, repeat on the other side.

Step 6. Make some more!
I deliberately kept the ribbon length quite short to make more of a statement, on wearing all these versions I have found that they sit on the head and fit into hairstyles much better. I have covered my elastic with fabric but you don't have too, there some really gorgeous metallic elastics in haberdasheries so you could skip steps 2 - 4 if you find something shiny! 

On a completely separate note - we're back at that annoying time of year when the sky is just grey and the sun-sets just before I have finished taking pictures - ggrrr! I hope by distracting you all with fairy lights and sparkle you'll be distracted into thinking these are all festive and make your own ready for the party season! Happy Making! x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover