Val's soya scones

Tuesday, 3 September 2013

There are only a few days of my detox left which I am quite relived about. I'm not planning on going crazy when its finished as I'm quite enjoying having a pain free life but to have a few less restrictions on what I can and can't eat will be better. I would say that I have stuck to the detox 95% of the time, I had half a glass of bubbles at my friends 30th at the weekend and the odd scone but that is it which isn't bad considering most of my social life revolves around eating and drinking.  

There have been a few times when I have been desperately hungary and these little beauties really saved the day. I was at my Mums (Val) and she could see me flagging so made me these soya milk scones in about 5 seconds, I know they have flour and a bit of butter in but seriously when your biggest treat of the day is an apple these taste like heaven. I reckon you could switch the wheat flour for another non wheat flour and then they would be (almost) saintly. Recipe below:

You'll need: 
500grms plain flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda, 4 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar, 50grms butter, 50 grms margarine, 300ml soya milk with one, 2 large eggs. 

Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees/ gas-mark 7

Shift, flour, salt, bicarb, cream of tartar into a bowl

Rub in your butter and marg until it goes like damp soil 

Whisk 1 egg into the soya milk, and add to your flour mixture

Bring together with your hands  - Val says don't over work the mixture, this is very important. Mine was a bit sticky so I added a little bit more flour. 

Flour your work surface and tip the mixture out of the bowl

Roll your mixture until it is 3cm think and cut out with a scone cutter. I didn't have one when I made them so use a large star shape and it worked fine. Val says you could cut round a glass if you don't have a cutter. 

Finish tops with a wash of egg and cook for 12 - 15mins

So simple and tasty. I ate mine with a bit of marg and squashed up berries that we picked on a walk. I have also been eating them with almond butter and raspberries which taste amazing. Happy making! x 

2 comments:

  1. Look at that food styling going on over here! Super impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably won't believe me but this was just how my mum had it. As soon as I saw it I knew it had to be blogged!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover