How to take better photographs

Thursday, 26 September 2013



I have a rather lovely guest poster today -  Helena from Helena La Petite. I met Helena a few months a go when she kindly gave me a camera lesson, it was great not only learning to use my camera but also getting to know Helena better. If you haven't already visited her blog make sure you do, it's jam packed with inspiration, absolutely stunning pictures and so much photography advice. Over to you Helena! 

Hi guys, My name is Helena, I’m a photographer based in London. Charlotte asked me to do a guest post today, and I couldn’t be more honoured! Thank you so much for having me! :)Charlotte and I met once before when I helped her out with some photography tips and explained a few things about exposure and her camera. So, I thought it’d be perfect to share a few tips with you as well to help you take better photos and to feel excited about creating beautiful imagery for your blog (or anything else really).The first thing I want to mention is that you don’t need any fancy equipment to take great photos. This is one of the most important points to remember really - don’t stress out over camera gear, it is just a tool. I’ve been shooting with a very basic DSLR and its kit lens for years, 
and it was just fine.


Another very important thing is light. I keep mentioning this, since it can make a photo look so much better. I love using lots of ambient daylight to keep the photos looking natural. Play around with different angles to find the best side to shoot from. If you want to learn more about exposure I’ve written a whole series on it.If you sometimes feel like a photo doesn’t quite ‘work’ try changing the perspective and composition. Move around, frame the picture differently, shoot from above, from the side or a different angle. Try something unusual.



I'm assuming some of you take photos of DIY projects as well, just as Charlotte, so a few tips regarding close-ups: Using a wide aperture (e.g. f/2.8) really helps in making a photo look more interesting, as it blurs a lot of the background and everything that’s not in focus. That’s how you create bokeh. On the other hand be you have to be careful not to end up with a picture that’s out of focus or too soft - just make sure that whatever it is you want to be sharp really is in focus, no matter whether you use auto- or manual focus (usually your camera tells you what’s in focus by showing some blinking red lights).



One last tip is to edit your photos. You don’t have to do a lot of retouching, simply adjusting exposure, contrast and colour will enhance your photos. It doesn’t have to be Photoshop either, you can use free software, such as Picasa, PhotoPlus, or PicMonkey.This was just a brief summary of some of the main tips to help you take better photos. If you want to read up further on how to take great photos for your blog have a look at this post

 

By the way, when I helped Charlotte out with her photography she gave me a little thank you note and one of her beautiful heart necklaces. You should definitely consider taking the workshop - I love wearing my necklace. :)

Thanks so much Helena, I now need to get all of this permanently etched in my brain! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover