DIY - very easy t-shirt

Wednesday, 24 April 2013

I haven't made a pattern or done any proper sewing for ages, the thing with sewing is that it takes a bit of time and commitment which I have been lacking in recent years. Pattern cutting was always one of my favourite lessons at uni, I loved the feeling of having a 2D piece of paper and then being able to create a 3D garment from it. My sewing skills are a little rusty but due to my disappear at the current over priced offerings in the high-street I'm determined to get sewing a bit more. 

This is my first very easy sewing project, using a favourite t-shirt as a starting point. My t-shirt was a lovely drapey shape with a small capped raglan sleeve, I recommend starting with something simple like this, avoid anything too sleeve-y. I have put all the steps below, I really hope you give this one a go. 

You'll need;
A favourite t-shirt to use as a base
1 metre of cotton jersey
Pattern paper (wrapping or brown will be a perfect alternative)
Pens and Pencils
Scissors
Pins
Needle 
Cotton
Sewing machine
Step 1. First take a piece of paper and draw a line down the centre, you'll need to leave enough space on both sides as you'll be folding in half later on.

Step 2. Fold your t-shirt in half, it helped me to pin mine into place. Place the folded edge of the t-shirt against your centre line, carefully draw round your t-shirt shape (use a pencil).

Step 3. Now you have drawn round your t-shirt shape you can make a few amendments. I started by shaping my neckline in a gentle curve, I extended the length by a few centimeters and then curved the hem slightly. The most important thing to remember at this stage is to make sure any seams that are meeting in the centre are at 90 degree angle to the centre line, this way you won't get any strange curves in the centre.

Step 4. Now add your seam allowances, I kept my hem, neckline and sleeve edges raw and added 0.5cm allowances to the shoulders and sides.


Step 5. Now fold your pattern in half and cut around. Ta dah! you should have a whole pattern.

Step 6. The best part about making t-shirts is there is no need to differentiate between front and back. Fold your fabric in half, right sides should be facing, so your selvedges are together (the selvedge is the edge of the fabric where the fabric is tightly woven). Make sure your centre line runs parallel to the selvedge edge, I can't stress how important this is. I pin my centre line first, measure the distance from the centre line to selvedge adjust the pattern so its straight, measure the distance and if its the same as the first pin, I pin again. Once that's done pin the rest of your pattern and cut out.

Step 7. This is another important step I have learnt along the way. Cut two strips of fabric exactly the same length as your shoulders and about 1.5cm wide. These stop the shoulder seams from stretching out.

Step 8. Sewing time! Pin your fabric together wrapping the strips of fabric over your shoulder seams and pin securely. Set your machine to a really long straight stitch and then stitch your side and shoulder seams.

Turn the right way round and give all the seams a good all press, you are done!

I think this whole pattern took me about an hour from start to finish so its perfect if you want to sew but don't have the time. I'm really excited about the next tutorial I have planned, I'm going to show you how to embellish like a pro - Happy making! x

7 comments:

  1. I just find your blog the other day and I'm really enjoying it! It seems easy. I have to try to learn sew!Maybe when my babies are a little older. For now, I am back to knit which I love! Do you knit too?
    www.notasinfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's a perfect first project. No I don't knit but its on my list to learn. x

      Delete
  2. YOu crafty minx. I didn't know you took pattern cutting classes at uni. I am in awe!

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did and loved them! I've gotten a little rusty but you have inspired me to start again. X

      Delete
  3. This is a fun project. I'm learning to sew, so it is perfect for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! Once you have done your pattern it literally takes 10mins to make one of these. Good luck let me know how you get on. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 10 minutes?! That is awesome! I'll keep you posted! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover