Thirty!

Friday, 22 February 2013

A slightly thoughtful post today as it's my thirtieth birthday - yikes! I've never been that fussed by getting older, you can't stop it so you might as well make the most of it and enjoy the cake, presents and people being nice to you for a day. This birthday feels different, for one I'm not sick (I have missed quite a few of my celebrations from various sore throats and bouts of actual flu) and two, I feel very ready to leave my twenties behind. They have been long, at times heart breaking and full of life experience (yes, brief stint in recruitment I mean you). Of course there have been some wonderful times along the way; hazy memories of laughter filled nights with my friends, visits to some amazing countries with Dan and curating quite an accessories library (hello, vintage Dior clutch). When I look back at my shy, naive and completely under confident twenty year old self, I realise I wasn't that well equipped to handle to perils of real life. I have been having a think and here are some nuggets of wisdom I would have given the younger me: 

Don't worry
The people who talk the loudest aren't always right
Stop rushing
Never ever home wax, ever! 
Trust your instincts 
Stay kind, compassionate and positive
Dance. daily
Never scrimp on glasses, shoes and lipstick
Remember what you love and stay true to it
Stay curious
Keep learning, no skill is ever wasted 
Always do what scares you most 

I'm not sure what the next 10 years will bring, I've learnt not to plan too far ahead as quite often the best experiences happen when you very least expect them. Have a super weekend, I'm off to eat cake, drink a little too much and dance like a loon, I might be thirty but I still feel like a seven year old! xx 

Images - Baby Charlotte either my mum or dad. Old Charlotte, the fantastic Michelle.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, hope you have an amazing day!!

    Love your words of wisdom, i'm not too fussed about getting old either, in some ways I'm looking forward to the end of my under confident twenties too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I love this post so much! I have a post written in my drafts folder called 'thoughts on being in my 30s' which I wrote ages ago but haven't brought myself to publish yet. Maybe I should just go ahead and do it? you've inspired me!
    I love the things you'd tell your 20 yr old self - never wax at home and never scrimp on shoes - best advice ever! Have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Charlotte! 30 is so so young. Have to say, home waxing never crossed my mind! And, I do often wonder, while I'm sprinting for the bus, will I still be running for the bus when I'm 50? No rushing is a good one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Wise words - dancing daily is definitely something we should all do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Charoltte! Hope you have a great day! Loved reading this post. Such a great idea to think over what you would tell your 20 year old self. Enjoy the cake!

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Being just 16 myself I'll take your advice to heart, especially about the home waxing, that doesn't sound like something I want to dabble in! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a lovely post, made me feel very emosh! Happy happy birthday! Continue with the gorgeousness of this blog, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! i dreaded turning 30 but when it happened nothing really changed, so who cares! Happy Birthday and may your 30's be fabulous!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a very happy birthday! Love your nuggets of wisdom :) ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Charlotte! Have a fantastic weekend of celebrations!
    Can't believe people are nice to you only one day a year though!
    Pretty good wisdom words! Ditto to all of it especially waxing part!

    Happy Birthday to you! xx
    Eva

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover