Its not often you'll catch me posting about my cooking achievements but I have just pulled these beauties out the bag! They would be perfect if you are looking for something very last minute to take to a New Year's bash and want to wow your nearest and dearest. I followed a recipe from The Simple Things (issue 3, page 104) but if you don't have a copy here are all the instructions.
35g ground almonds
35g ground hazelnuts
130g icing sugar
2 egg whites
50g caster sugar, sifted
1 heaped tsp egg white powder, sifted
Filling - chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella to you and me)
How to make:
1. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper
2. Sift the almonds, hazelnuts and icing sugar into a bowl
3. In an electric mixer beat the egg whites, caster sugar and egg white powder together until stiff peaks form.
4. Add the egg white mixture to the dry ingredients and gently fold until the mixture falls in ribbons when lifted with a spatula.
5. Fill a piping bag with the mixture and pipe 32, 4cm rounds ontothe baking trays. Let dry for 15 mins.
6. Preheat the oven 140 degrees
7. Bake for 7 minutes. Turn the tray around and bake for a further 3 minutes (I did mine for and extra 5, as my oven isn't great)
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool
9. Sandwich in pairs with the hazelnut spread (I warmed mine in the microwave for a few seconds before spreading.)