DIY - Clay star decorations

Wednesday, 12 December 2012

This weeks DIY's are all about adorning your tree (I have another DIY to share tomorrow), today I am showing you to how to make easy air dry clay decorations. Crafting time is about 2 - 3 hours but it is split over a few days so it isn't too bad. I always associate stars with Christmas and like to make a new set each year, you can see last years here. These were really simple and you don't have to keep them just for christmas, paint them in bright colours and hang on some ribbon and you will have a year round garland for under £5 - bargain! Here's how to make...
I used a 500gm pack of air dry clay that I picked up in my local craft shop for about £4 and made around 40 stars. Split your pack into quarters and roll your clay so it is about 3mm thick. I rolled mine onto baking paper so the surface was flat. Cut your star shapes using biscuit cutters and make a hole in the top. Repeat this until all your clay has been used up. 
I decided to stamp a few words into my stars as they were drying, using stamps last seen here. Once completed set your stars to one side and leave to dry - originally I left mine on the baking paper but it took in too much moisture so after a few hours I removed and left on my windowsill above a radiator. Leave them for at least 24 hours until they are completely dry. 
Now the fun part begins, paint your stars any way you choose using acrylic craft paint. I went for mint green, gold and a splash of neon yellow. Leave to dry and then you are ready to hang. 

I didn't use all of these on my tree I kept some back which I intend to use on wrapping my gifts (once I have brought them). Happy making! 

2 comments:

  1. These are so pretty! I love the contrasting painted edges and stamped lettering. These will be a great addition to your gift wrapping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the last time I did anything creative with clay was at school, but maybe I'll give it another go - these stars are cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover