Travel - Lisbon

Monday, 8 October 2012

Two weekends ago Dan and I had a little trip to Lisbon, we had planned to go there a few years ago but sadly we had to cancel. It was definitely worth the wait, Lisbon is such a fabulous little city. Small enough to get around in just a couple of days but so much to look at along the way (beware, its a very hilly). We had no plans or preconceptions of what we wanted to do we only looked at our guide book the morning we arrived and took it from there. Our first stop was the castle, and then from there we just wandered around the streets with me stopping every five steps to take a photo of either a crumbly window, patterned tile or someone's washing (why does a persons washing look so much better on holiday?)!
The buildings were all painted gorgeous bright but muted colours - Lisbon is such a great city to get lost in as there are so many surprises along the way. I love this tile graffiti and pop up of John Cleese, every street went went down there was another treat for the eye. I haven't included any photos but there were some really beautiful shop fronts and windows, all were so intricately designed and really kept their old school charm. Luckily for me, not some much for Dan there was a whole street of haberdasheries (just off Rua Augusta),  they were so old fashioned but full to the brim of real treasures. 
I recommend the Barrio Alto area of Lisbon for food and drinks, its so lively in the evenings with everyone eating outside on the tiny streets, and the food is amazing - we had such good dinners. There are street performers singing on every corner (and some random old men!) which make for such a fun atmosphere and compared to somewhere like Barcelona the food was really reasonably priced. On our hunt for more food we made a trip to the outskirts of Lisbon to visit Pasteis de Belem - the home of the original Portuguese custard tart, it was worth it they were so tasty. They sell these little custard tarts everywhere but I'm glad we waited until we made the trip to Belem the shop alone is worth a visit. 

Lisbon is a great city and I really recommend if you need a get away for a few days; the people, food and city are all so welcoming. The best bit is that there is no time difference from the UK, so you don't lose any of your day with a pesky time difference. After Lisbon we hopped on the train to take us to Faro, I'll will post the photo's soon...

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to go to Lisbon, I think its on my list for next year! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should Grace, I think you'll like. Hope alls good with you. X

      Delete
  2. So many great photos! I've been wanting to get to Lisbon for a while. I have definite travel envy.

    Thanks for the tips. Can't decide what makes me more excited that haberdashery street or the custard tarts :)

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should go its a great city! If you need any tips just drop me an email lottsandlots@gmail.com x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post,I was there some years ago and also in Porto both are completely different and special on their way.
    Kisses
    City-aholic.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard they are quite different - maybe next time I will go to Porto.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover