Ruby Slippers

Monday, 29 October 2012

This post is basically a love letter to the V&A museum. The V&A is quite possibly one one of my favourite places in the whole world, whenever I visit I leave feeling refreshed, inspired and ready to start a new project - there is always something to ignite my imagination. 

From my very first degree project the V&A has always been a place where I start or if I'm a bit lost find myself again. I remember a few years ago I went to see the Golden Age of Couture, my first and only two jobs in fashion were awful experiences and after a lifetime of wanting to work with colour, fabric and beads I gave it all up via another traumatic job in recruitment and found myself temping in an accountancy firm. For at least a year after leaving fashion I didn't want to look at anything beautiful, I thought maybe I had clung onto my dreams for so long they were just a habit and it wasn't for me. That was until I went into that exhibition; the beauty of the fabrics took my breathe away, I still think about the perfect shades of mustard, pink and turquoise and the exquisite beading set my heart a flutter. More importantly it reminded me that being creative and working with colour wasn't just a habit it is something I need have in my life to make me happy. I think shortly after my visit I found my love of jewellery making and here I am today, slowing figuring out what I want to do next...

So, last week I was feeling a bit "meh", I had a general sense of things not being quite right (turns out gmail was to blame). One of my oldest friends and I tickets booked to see the Hollywood Costume exhibition, it was just what I needed, so many iconic dresses (and suits if you're interested) it gave me the shivers; Audrey Hepburn's LBD from Breakfast at Tiffany's, Kiera's stunning green dress from Atonement, Marylin Monroe's white dress from the Seven Year Itch and of course Dorothy's slippers for the Wizard of Oz, all equally if not more famous than the actresses themselves. 

You couldn't leave without being in awe of everything, I took a few sneaky photos (sorry I couldn't help myself) to serve as a reminder that there are amazing things out there and to make myself do more of what I love. Its easy to get dragged down by the job that pays the bills but taking some time out to let yourself be inspired and fulfill your passions is just as important (and better for the soul). 

The Hollywood Costume exhibition is on until the 27th January, make sure you go and visit. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you Lotts! I love the V&A. Always leave there feeling inspired. I was thinking of going to the ballgowns exhibition... is that one you've seen?

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, its really good. I have heard mixed views on it but if you like beautiful dressed then I think that you will like. I would say I preferred the Costumes though as there is more to see. Hope this helps xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover