Postcards

Monday, 30 April 2012

I have prepared a bit of a mammoth post for today, mainly because I couldn't leave any of the below images out. Way back at Christmas we were at Dan's mums and she pulled out an album of the most delightful birthday cards, photo's and post cards belonging to her mum from the 1920s & 1930's; all lovingly preserved. I always see these at vintage markets but I think there is something extra special when you know the stories behind them. It is hard to pick a favourite, but I think the lady above might be it, I love the colour green of her bow, her coral lips and charm necklace - gorgeous! 
Look at the beautiful handwriting, there's something so romantic about it. With everything so digitalized these days, handwriting is becoming a lost art. These ladies are looking pretty good too; I know its all about the pixels, but you can't beat the depth of colour these cards have. The palette of soft green, yellow, pink and red is just delicious. 
The slightly evil looking cat makes me laugh, I wish they still made cards like this...

These portrait shots were too good to leave out. I would love the dress the lady in the top left is wearing, how amazing is her scalloped cape? Look at the rather dapper couple its a shame more people don't wear striped dungarees. Even the crumbly spine of the album gets me all excited. I used to print out my photo's religiously after every holiday/ big event but have got out the habit, I am definitely going to start again, who knows who'll be looking in 80 years time.

P.S - Thanks for all the really sweet comments on Friday's post, I made it through the weekend without a panic and got a few more bits ticked of the to-do list.

3 comments:

  1. These cards are just gorgeous! What great inspiration that decade brought with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria - I completely agree with you, the inspiration from this decade is endless. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are so beautiful! i *swoon* for things like this!
    xoxo from nyc & http://www.the-beautiful-things.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Pin It button on image hover